The Outside: The Philosophical Hyjack Thread

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Yeah, I searched the net for events in the specific year 1094, I found jolly bob-all except for a dude in Scotland along with his half-brother (and an army) invaded England, won the battle but then later got beat back to Scotland and killed and his half-brother then joined the bloke who killed his kin, and is named heir. And even then it didn't really make much sense as it was basically bulletpoints rather than a log of what went on.
I went with the 1st thing that came to mind in that general time frame. Being off by ~30 years is still reasonably close with aiming back almost a millennia. lol In the time period of SC, I suspect that they'd remember our general time period closer to the start of the 20th century, where 1 global war helped lead into a global economic depression which was followed by another global war. They would probably compare it to the 2 wars with the Tevarin based on the lore. Mad props to @TheAstroPub for all of his dedicated efforts in the field of SC Lore & many other things.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I went with the 1st thing that came to mind in that general time frame. Being off by ~30 years is still reasonably close with aiming back almost a millennia. lol In the time period of SC, I suspect that they'd remember our general time period closer to the start of the 20th century, where 1 global war helped lead into a global economic depression which was followed by another global war. They would probably compare it to the 2 wars with the Tevarin based on the lore. Mad props to @TheAstroPub for all of his dedicated efforts in the field of SC Lore & many other things.
I'm not even sure 930 years in the future they'd remember COVID19 to any great effect in so far as it being public knowledge... the World Wars definitely, those were pivotal, but even now Spanish Flu itself is not much more than a footnote when people talk about world events of the 20th century...?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'm not even sure 930 years in the future they'd remember COVID19 to any great effect in so far as it being public knowledge... the World Wars definitely, those were pivotal, but even now Spanish Flu itself is not much more than a footnote when people talk about world events of the 20th century...?
I honestly don't know. Covid19 in the way of a viral outbreak was unique not so much in regards to the infection cost but in regards to the global response and economic fallout.
Compare to the history of the Roman empire and that was near 2000 years ago.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I honestly don't know. Covid19 in the way of a viral outbreak was unique not so much in regards to the infection cost but in regards to the global response and economic fallout.
Compare to the history of the Roman empire and that was near 2000 years ago.
Literally the only pandemics I know about are Spanish Flu because it's attached to WW1, The Black Death in the 1300's because it wiped out 50% of Europe over 6 years and that population decline even changed the local climate due to decline in being able to perform land management, and COVID 19 because I happened to live through it :-D

• o7

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yes tracking flu and deaths associated with it is a very new phenomenon. But that mostly comes from the understanding of diseases and what they are. But even still things like the spreading of diseases across North and South America from the European explorers is not well understood or even really talked about.

But when we go back in antiquity they talk about plagues and while some were of things like locus others clearly were virus infections.
Above it all is the concept of recorded history is that which is remembered. It's why we know so much about the Roman empire and so little of the tribes of North America. And to that end why I imagine since the modern age will be easier to recall 1000 years into the future. Just based on how much stuff is recorded.

• Glorious
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yes tracking flu and deaths associated with it is a very new phenomenon. But that mostly comes from the understanding of diseases and what they are. But even still things like the spreading of diseases across North and South America from the European explorers is not well understood or even really talked about.

But when we go back in antiquity they talk about plagues and while some were of things like locus others clearly were virus infections.
Above it all is the concept of recorded history is that which is remembered. It's why we know so much about the Roman empire and so little of the tribes of North America. And to that end why I imagine since the modern age will be easier to recall 1000 years into the future. Just based on how much stuff is recorded.
I hear you on that, but I'm not sure how much of that is going to survive into the future though?

I went back to forums I used to be on in the late 90's and they're just gone. Even using internet archive thingies are incomplete at best. The internet isn't a timeless vault of ever accessible information, Photobucket, Megaupload, these services change or disappear and along with it goes that wealth of data...

Not to mention records which happened but are just inaccessible after they occur such as Ceefax and Teletext etc, things we know about from thousands of years ago were etched in stone, magnetic and electronic recording techniques have a shelf life of a hundred years or two at best before they deteriorate and are lost...

I just can't see 930 years into the future we'll know as much about everyday life of today as we know about the Romans - even modern manufactured non-archival grade paper disintegrates after a couple hundred years... What recorded right now will make it to 2954?

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I hear you on that, but I'm not sure how much of that is going to survive into the future though?

I went back to forums I used to be on in the late 90's and they're just gone. Even using internet archive thingies are incomplete at best. The internet isn't a timeless vault of ever accessible information, Photobucket, Megaupload, these services change or disappear and along with it goes that wealth of data...

Not to mention records which happened but are just inaccessible after they occur such as Ceefax and Teletext etc, things we know about from thousands of years ago were etched in stone, magnetic and electronic recording techniques have a shelf life of a hundred years or two at best before they deteriorate and are lost...

I just can't see 930 years into the future we'll know as much about everyday life of today as we know about the Romans - even modern manufactured non-archival grade paper disintegrates after a couple hundred years... What recorded right now will make it to 2954?
All the more reason to post increasingly TESTified shit posts my brothers & sisters. LoL

In all seriousness though, I worry less about the things we have documented of current times making it 1k into the future because there are people that dedicate their lives to renewing & restoring things that end up in archives & museums. What worries me more than that are those that clearly strive to change what is recorded & known of history. I've seen it myself in person at The Alamo. The jackass tour guide from San Fransisco, was giving out false information from a bronze plaque, that was dedicated to the Alamo by the Mexican government. The information basically stated that there were almost half as many Texan freedom fighters as Mexican soldiers in the battle. Which isn't physically possible due to its small size & the actual numbers were obtained from the corpses. The "guide" also brushed over all the atrocities that Santa Anna did, while claiming that the Texans were the 1s that killed all of the women & children inside. Note that there was a witness, a child that was hiding, that told everything they saw to the Texans that came to investigate.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
All the more reason to post increasingly TESTified shit posts my brothers & sisters. LoL

In all seriousness though, I worry less about the things we have documented of current times making it 1k into the future because there are people that dedicate their lives to renewing & restoring things that end up in archives & museums. What worries me more than that are those that clearly strive to change what is recorded & known of history. I've seen it myself in person at The Alamo. The jackass tour guide from San Fransisco, was giving out false information from a bronze plaque, that was dedicated to the Alamo by the Mexican government. The information basically stated that there were almost half as many Texan freedom fighters as Mexican soldiers in the battle. Which isn't physically possible due to its small size & the actual numbers were obtained from the corpses. The "guide" also brushed over all the atrocities that Santa Anna did, while claiming that the Texans were the 1s that killed all of the women & children inside. Note that there was a witness, a child that was hiding, that told everything they saw to the Texans that came to investigate.
Oooh, an interesting angle indeed, I heard about (but have not yet read) a story called "The Book Of Dave" where a taxi drivers rants end up being the underpinnings of a post apocalyptic societies most holiest of books because they survived the end while most other stuff didn't... Very interesting indeed.

Last edited:
  • o7
Forgot your password?