Respawn mechanics change! Good or bad?

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Personally, I think this is a good change and should probably be permanent in some form. The lethality of the gameplay combined with the effort involved with getting TO, or getting BACK to, that gameplay indicates that this change ought to be a quality of life improvement.

Balance it with the need to stock consumables to run the beds; this has been stated in the past as the intention and could be tailored to restrict usefulness. Along with losing gear, the "degradation of DNA", and wear on the medbed itself this could curtail abuse of the mechanic while allowing players to recover from mistakes a bit more gracefully.

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
I agree with your video @Montoya They will find a way to make it work and not be so punishing at the moment with respawns. If the hardcore players don't like it, one thing they can do is to not take out a medical bed with them on their adventures.

I have died far too many times to the invisible asteroid or the fast closing door at a station or just simply tripping over the door when leaving the ship to bother attempting more detailed and dangerous gameplay at times. I want my respawn to be faster, easier and not 57,000,000km away

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Good to see you back Glorious Leader, I hope you are doing well!

I didn't even know there was drama. I own a medical Pisces, use it as a runabout, never thought it could end up so useful!

I do appreciate that I won't have to do a 20min trip just to get back into action because of how broken the FPS combat is currently, along with killer ramps and doors...

My concern is more along the lines of exploration gameplay, and the overall sentiment and commitment to the risk-reward system. This takes out a huge risk factor. You just slap a pisces in the hangar if your larger exploration ship, or have one fly alongside.. I do hope they still make it so going to a really remote system carries more risk (and reward) than just having to run back for 3 minutes to your corpse and carry on where you left off.

With that said, I could never see the original system working out right. With the slightly realistic-ish damage model of 1-3 headshots = kill it would have been way too much risk for the players to ever step out of their private habs, even if every killer glitch got ironed out... The risk reward balance wasn't there. I was waiting for CiG to do something about this, but they didn't really have options apart from ruining the current feel of combat by making FPS spongy (10-15 headshots minimum) which I would've hated, or soften the respawn stage. I'm glad they chose this over the sponge.

I think PVP will get real CoD-like until they add in more balancing factors ( as @Ayeteeone said). But people will soon learn to go for the vehicle with the med beds first, and only engage in FPS directly after that has been destroyed, and learn to respect their "lives" again, and not just throw it into the meatgrinder.

TLDR: I'm old, I got shit to do. I'm fine with this change.

edit: I do like the new bikes. The design is pretty good! I won't buy one with real money though, I have no use for the token either so I'll just wait until I can get one in-game.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
From my perspective, the hardcore players are going to bitch about anything that doesn't make them feel OP from casual or normie players. So for the time being this seems like a good idea. As things get more flushed out, there's room to start looking into a balance, but we're still in alpha. There's no need to act like entitled jerks at the expense of new & casual backers.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
If the hardcore players don't like it, one thing they can do is to not take out a medical bed with them on their adventures.
The problem with this philosophy is that hardcore players tend to demand that everyone else needs to play hardcore as well, or it will "diminish their experience"...aka, their e-peens won't seem as big.

The medical changes are a good thing IMO. It gives life again to the Cutlass Red and Pisces rescue.

Games being respectful of the gamer's time the critical phrase. SC is already disrespectful of that. Just doing a few salvage missions might take 60-90 minutes from launch to logout. There is very little that you can currently do in a short amount of time (accomplish something in 15 mintues). I am not saying SC has to be like WoW, but right now, unless you have an hour or more that you can dedicate to the game, it's just not worth logging in. That's a really bad place for the game to be in.

It's much better for a game to get people logging in "for just 15 minutes" because you can probably get them to extend that, but if they feel it's not worth logging in without setting aside an hour or more, you will see far fewer people logging in. Less people logging in, less people playing, the quicker the game dies.

Last edited:

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
The problem with this philosophy is that hardcore players tend to demand that everyone else needs to play hardcore as well, or it will "diminish their experience"...aka, their e-peens won't seem as big.

The medical changes are a good thing IMO. It gives life again to the Cutlass Red and Pisces rescue.

Games being respectful of the gamer's time the critical phrase. SC is already disrespectful of that. Just doing a few salvage missions might take 60-90 minutes from launch to logout. There is very little that you can currently do in a short amount of time (accomplish something in 15 mintues). I am not saying SC has to be like WoW, but right now, unless you have an hour or more that you can dedicate to the game, it's just not worth logging in. That's a really bad place for the game to be in.

It's much better for a game to get people logging in "for just 15 minutes" because you can probably get them to extend that, but if they feel it's not worth logging in without setting aside an hour or more, you will see far fewer people logging in. Less people logging in, less people playing, the quicker the game dies.
Absolutely agree 100%. it is making me more inclined to log in for sessions already.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You been keeping that open flame here the whole time? Are you insane?!?!
You need to ask?
Just don't go and look at how I'm keeping the TEST section of Spectrum regularly updated... too much proof of hermit style loosing-of-the-mind over there to be able to deny it!

Halvix

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Halvix
The med bed change is a good thing considering the current state of alpha. Many deaths are from random bugs or server desync and not because of bad choices made by the player. Obviously in the future when the medical gameplay is fleshed out more and servers are more stable and bugs are less likely to randomly blow your ship up because you stacked a box wrong I can see them revisiting this change. For now it's a good fix.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Fearless Leader is right about the need for the game to 'respect our time.'

as it is, travel is far too time-consuming

the only way to enjoy a variety of gameplay styles now is to have multiple characters in different locations

others can complain that it's immersion-breaking,

but I want instant respawn and teleportation

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
My basic questions for CIG are "What are Star Citizen's essential game play loops by which players of all sorts will have fun?", and then "What is it exactly that makes those game play loops fun for a broad range players?" IMHO -- CIG largely fails to answer to these questions as they continue to focus on early Alpha-level iterations of gameplay system development even after all of these years. It's time that CIG shows us something more than 1990s-era game play. Hopefully they use the upcoming 2024 events (e.g., ILW and CitizenCon) to showcase what they have in mind to create meaningful game play that truly differentiates Star Citizen beyond it being about a basic FPS shooter with virtual starship sales.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?